Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Reflection; What God has been teaching me (1)

Dear Readers,
I have been trying to think of what my next post should be, so I decided to write about something I have been thinking about lately; Recently I have been reflecting back on these past few months and seeing how God has been working in my life. Even to this day I am amazed at how much effort he puts in to molding and shaping me into a woman of God. So here is a reflection of what God has been teaching me:

Reflection; What God has been teaching me 
(Part 1)
At the beginning of the year I started out going to youth group. It wasn't just an ordinary youth group though; It was a group of mostly homeschooled kids who wanted to gain a deeper relationship with God. And so for the past 3 years, I had been attending this group. Throughout all of my years of going there, I have learned a lot about courtship, reaping what you sow, and much more. These are all things that I am so happy that I have learned about.

When I was going there this year though, something didn't seem right. I didn't feel settled or belonging anymore. I knew that this was not because of the group, but more of something going on with me. So for many months, I struggled with feeling content there as I had before. It was like I was restless.

Not only did I feel out of place, but I also started to notice things about myself that I didn't like. For instance; I was so afraid that if I talked to a guy that others would think that I was either flirting or that I liked him. The issues that I had with myself about that was; A. Talking to a guy is not flirting and does not mean that I like him. B. Why am I so worried of what they think of me? (Yes, reputation is important -To a certain extent- but worrying about self image should not control your life). I also began to worry that if people saw me with someone who didn't look or act like a christian that they would then think that I was associated with that person. Because I felt that way, I began to judge others.
Example;
I saw a person walk in with a skull on their shirt. I knew that this was something that was not approved on by the group, so I decided to ignore the person. Besides, if they see me with that person then maybe they'll think that I am just like that person...

That was something I made up just spur of the moment, but that is how I began to think. I wouldn't even get to know the person and I would assume that I knew who they were just by looking at them and I would then decide whether I wanted to be seen with them or not. It probably sounds odd; but I was judging people because I was worried of being judged.

The things I just listed were things that I wasn't happy about. I knew that it was wrong to be judging others and I also knew that it was ok to talk to guys. But you know what? Even though I was struggling with these things, I could still not imagine leaving the group; I had practically grown up there! Even though I hadn't grown very close to some of the people, I had still seen the same faces week after week, year after year. I didn't want to step out of my comfort zone and find a new youth group with new people. No way! I knew though that I wasn't growing as I had been, and that I needed to make a decision of continuing to go there or not.

December finally came and I was beginning to feel the urgency of making a final decision of going there or not. I didn't know how to decide, so I did what I knew best to do, and that was to pray. I prayed to God on a Wednesday morning, and by the time that afternoon came, I felt the urge to open up my bible. And so I opened it up and let the pages turn to anyplace -I figured that God would let the pages fall into the right place-. The book of Philemon stared at me, and after praying to God that he would give me peace in the decision, I began to read.
"...Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ...."

I was amazed! I knew that It wasn't a shocking revelation that God speaks to people, but it still was something that awed me. And so I continued to read, and I eventually felt assured within me that God was saying it was time that I departed from the Youth Group.

That night I went to a few of my close friends and let them know that I would no longer be attending. It was probably one of the hardest things I had ever done. And with each person that I told, the realization of what was happening began to hit me hard as a rock. Sure I had planned earlier in the day of what I was going to say to these people, but the reality of it hadn't gone through to me yet.

By the end of the night I was blurry eyed with tears, and exhausted. The whole ride home I debated over and over again in my head if I had done the right thing. And when I went to sleep that night I prayed that God would continue to fill me with peace, for I was in need of it.

Check back later to read part 2 
~Miss.Adriana Castillo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback from my readers, so please feel free to comment. If you would like to contact me with something more personal, then you are welcomed to email me at: adrianawaleenac@gmail.com

Please speak through the love of God in anything that you write. Thank you :)
~Miss.Adriana Castillo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...