Friday, June 3, 2011

Mirror Mirror on the wall...

Ok, so today I just so happen to have had a bad hair day. I'm sure you  know what's that's like; Too much frizz, not enough volume,  too straight, not curly, ect.... With all that, I  recently have had kind of an odd thought...


What would it be like if we didn't have mirrors?
 I remember that there was a girl who had went on a missionary trip, and she came back and was telling me how these kids were amazed with her digital camera. She said that they had never seen themselves before, and were amazed to see a tiny picture of themselves from her camera.  

So what would it be like if you had never seen yourself before?
Being that our society has based us to be very aware of self image, it could durastically change our culture to all of a sudden not know what we looked like. Of course this question has led me to other questions;


Would we even care of how skinny/fat we are?
Society has taught us that to be skinny, is to be perfect. Just look at all the Movie Stars, Movies, and T.V. Shows that tell us that if you are skinny then people will like you. Here is a sad fact; 81% of 10 year olds are afraid of being fat. Is this really what it has come to?

Would there be so many people with eating disorders?
Statistics show that 10 million women have eating disorders (Annorexia & Bulimia), and 1 million men also suffer from this. Yet if we didn't know what we looked like, would we even care how slim we are?


Would cosmetics sell as they do now?
Try and imagine putting on lipstick, mascara, or eyeliner on with out a mirror. Haha, you might look more like a clown than anything ;) While we could still put make-up on each other, it would be rather difficult to put it on ourselves. But would we feel the need to wear it if we couldn't see our natural looking face?

Would we be able to believe more that God has made us beautiful?
If we didn't notice what we think are 'imperfections' in our looks, would it be easier for people to believe in their hearts that God made them beautiful?

There are so many more questions I can think of, but I think you get the point. Now I am not saying that mirrors are bad, for they do have their purpose, but I do think it;s important that we pay attention to how often we reflect on our looks and that we don't obsess with our features. Maybe try making a mark on a piece of paper each time you look at your reflection in a mirror, and see how much you pay attention to your looks. Maybe you don't struggle with this, but I know that I do a little.... ::Sheepish Grin::

"Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain:
but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."
Proverbs 31:30 (KJV)

Anyways, hope you have a wonderful day!
~Miss.Adriana


So how do you think that mirrors affect us? Please comment and let me know :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Paperclip here :) You know, that totally just made me remember my Othello mission trip when something like this came up... There were no mirrors in our campground, and it was driving the girls crazy! But you know, I got to thinking, not having a mirror, not really caring what you looked like, felt so good. Of course, all of us would occasionally glance in the van windows and mirrors, but for the most part, we didn't really know or care what we looked like that week. Anywho, I just wanted to say I really like this post and it really made me think :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback from my readers, so please feel free to comment. If you would like to contact me with something more personal, then you are welcomed to email me at: adrianawaleenac@gmail.com

Please speak through the love of God in anything that you write. Thank you :)
~Miss.Adriana Castillo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...