Thursday, February 9, 2012

Empathy

This is another sequel type post, which goes hand-in-hand with my previous one about selfishness. I have found a struggle of empathy within me. I get annoyed sometimes when people start telling me about how so-and-so broke up with them and I tend to just want to tell them to toughen up and deal with it. I know that this is not the right response to such scenarios, yet I honestly don't understand peoples minimal issues sometimes and am a little to selfish to take the time to give that persons issue valid concern or even pray for them.

So I have been working with God to have understanding for people. I have found that when I listen to peoples issues, they are more open to me and will usually share struggles that go beyond just everyday tiffs.

We have empathy for someone when we try to understand what someone is going through even though we haven't gone through it. It's important to have empathy as Christians because that is what we are called to do, to show people that love just as Jesus would. Jesus never said "Dude, that's your issue so scram!", yet that is sometimes what I do, maybe not by saying so, but gesturing the same meaning.

So what do we do to resolve such lacking? What I've been doing is praying and asking God that even if I don't understand a persons problems, that He can just give them love and bring them aware of His presence. It's still hard though because I am still sometimes unsure of what to say in response, but I know though that I can care for these people as Jesus would by just listening and praying for them.

Here is a verse to reflect upon:
Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous; 
~1 Peter 3:8

We are to have compassion and be tenderhearted to those around us even when we don't understand.So join with me in this journey of validly listening to the issues of those around us, so that we can love others just as Jesus would.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback from my readers, so please feel free to comment. If you would like to contact me with something more personal, then you are welcomed to email me at: adrianawaleenac@gmail.com

Please speak through the love of God in anything that you write. Thank you :)
~Miss.Adriana Castillo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...