Monday, July 9, 2012

Not just hearing, but listening...


Sometimes I think we as humans (I included) tend to hear but not listen. I think though that this is a fault in us, as it allows us to block out others when they maybe pouring out their hearts to us. Something that made me think of this is when one of my co-workers said that he listens to every single word his daughter says because even though she says 100 words a minute, he knows that in-between every few words is a piece of her heart.

I think about all those times when I block out what people are telling me, whether at work, home or school and how I am hearing -but not listening. And it saddens me when I think of all the people that I have interacted with, that are just waiting for someone to read in-between the lines of what they are saying because they want support or encouragement -yet no one listens.

Then Jesus said, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear.
Mark 4:9

Sometimes this can be a challenge, other times it can be easy.
It's easy when you are listening to your best friend, after all, he/she probably has a lot of things in common with you and you enjoy one another s presence or else you would not be best friends.
It's hard when the someone whos talking to you is someone that you don't get along with, or a coworker/school chum that is living there life completely different than you see fit - because judgment can easily place a veil over your ears in such times.

My chanllenge for myself and you is to reach out and listen to the people that aren't so easy to listen to, for me that's a coworker that is completely unhappy with her life and every word she says is negative but yet I can see the hurt and anger that she seems to be struggling with. For you it could be a coworker, school friend, or maybe even a family member.

No matter who it is, listen to each words they say, and don't expect them to flat out say " I want you to encourage me" or "I am hurting right now", because not anyone I can think of would flat out say that. Read inbetween the lines as best as you can and get to the root of what they are telling you.

Know this, my beloved brothers. Every man must be swift about hearing, slow about speaking, slow about wrath;
James 1:19
Many blessings to you throughout this week,
Adriana

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback from my readers, so please feel free to comment. If you would like to contact me with something more personal, then you are welcomed to email me at: adrianawaleenac@gmail.com

Please speak through the love of God in anything that you write. Thank you :)
~Miss.Adriana Castillo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...