Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Riding the Rails Story

Hello! So, I just finished writing a story for a school history project and I thought that I would share it with y'all! :) Every now and then I will post a chapter, but for now, Here is the intro & Chapter 1: 
 

~The Journey Home~
Written By, Adriana Castillo


Riding The Rails
During the great depression, many teenagers ran away from home. There reasons consisted of being kicked out of home because there family could not afford to feed them, going to work in order to support there family, or leaving for the pure sake of adventure. Many of these youngsters would hop on board a train and travel, free of cost. But there was a cost; danger lurked everywhere, and many were un-aware of the hazards that riding the rails brought.

These teens were everyday kids, just like some of you. They had a life to fullfill, and for some, that life ended when they chose to ride the rails. This story is about a young girl named Stacy, who chose to ride the rails. 
 

Chapter 1
~The Escape~
I woke up to the feeling of cold rushing air; it was a biting chill that I hadn't anticipated. The hard medal of the train that I layed upon gave no warmth, nor did the rocky ride and sharp turns give comfort to me. As I layed there, I looked above to the starry sky and let my mind wander. I tried to remember the reason why I was here, it seemed like I had been on this adventure all my life. I knew it hadn't, and I also knew why I was laying on top of a train riding the rails.

It was April 7th of 1932 in Hiseville, Kentucky. I woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs that morning, I was excited because it was my 17th birthday. I dressed quickly before rushing downstairs to my awaited breakfast. As I sat down, I began to eye the plate that set before me. “Well, go ahead and take a bite sugar plum” said my mama. As the anticipated food began to reach my mouth, my pa came in from outside. My face lit up to see him, but then it darkened when I took a closer look. He looked tired and dirty as if he hadn't slept all night. I dared not ask him why he looked that way, I knew my ma would ask him.

That night of my birthday, I packed a carrying bag with necessities for living. I had a jar of money that I had been saving to buy a glass doll, a bar of soap, some extra clothes, as well as some food that I had snuck from the kitchen. No one knew that I was planning to run away from home, I didn't wish for anyone to know. I counted my money again, although I had already done so three times. It still equaled to be five dollars, not much -but enough to get me by. I then started to escape by climbing out my bedroom window.

As I climbed down from my window, my mind replayed the events of the day; My pa said that he had lost his job. When hearing that, my ma began to bawl -And before I knew it, they were arguing about who's fault it was that he had lost his job. They then began to speak of how they would make the house payments, buy food, and clothes. The talk was more than I could bear to hear, so I had run up to my room and started scheming up a plan of escape.

Now I had reached the ground from below my bedroom window. I ran to the street that our house was located on, and stopped momentarily to look back. The white two story house had been my home all my life, with it's brick chimney and a constantly lit candle in the window cill. Although I knew things would be different, I was absolutely sure that no matter what -the candle would be lit in the window, always inviting me back home.
Copyrighted 2011, Adriana Castillo

 
I Hope you enjoyed the story! Have a blessed day, and stay tuned for more!
~Miss.Adriana Castillo 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback from my readers, so please feel free to comment. If you would like to contact me with something more personal, then you are welcomed to email me at: adrianawaleenac@gmail.com

Please speak through the love of God in anything that you write. Thank you :)
~Miss.Adriana Castillo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...