Monday, January 3, 2011

A Mentors Importance

Dear Readers,
     Today I am filled with excitement as I am getting ready to go hang out with one of my sweet friends. One of the reasons why I am looking forward to hanging out with my friend, is because this person is more than a friend to me. She has been my 'Big Sister' these past few years, and I consider her as my mentor. I believe that it is important that every person has a mentor that they can trust and talk to.
So why do I feel it important that a person has a mentor? Well, I can only answer that question with another question -What is a mentor?

The Merriam Webster Dictionary, states that a Mentor is: "a trusted counselor or guide", Their key words are 'Tutor' & 'Coach'.

My definition of a mentor, from a christian point of view, is a person who can help guide you through your christian walk. For me, this person is usually not a full blown adult, but rather a young adult that is anywhere from 3-8 years older than me (If your an adult then you will probably relate more with adults, but me being a youth -I tend to relate to young adults). This person is someone that I feel I have a connection with, and someone that I trust. This person understands me and truly cares for me, and therefore, they help me when I stumble -and encourage me when I take a step in the right direction.

Your mentor can be anyone: A Parent, Pastor, or just a friend. Generally, a persons mentor is of somebody of the same gender (I don't see many guys going to a girl and pouring out there life story unless the two are in a relationship together). And now that you know what a mentor is, we can move on to my original question; Why do I feel it important that a person has a mentor?

I feel it's important because often times, an older person has had more experiences and therefore can lead you through common trials of life. They can sometimes keep you in check; when they see that you are drifting in your faith, they show there concern for your well being and try to help and encourage you. And in turn, a mentor can greatly impact your spiritual walk with the Lord in a positive way.

Therefore, I feel that a mentor is something that everyone should have. Not only has my mentor impacted my life spiritually, but she is also someone that I look up to. You see, since I am the oldest girl in my family and I don't have big sisters to teach me things, my mentor has kind of inspired me to become a Godly woman in the things I do. Let me explain better; She has inspired me to dress modestly, to be a homemaker, and to stay pure (physically & emotionally) while waiting for my Prince Charming. 

And one day I hope that I can be a 'Big-Sister' to someone, just like my mentor has been to me :)


~Miss.Adriana Castillo ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback from my readers, so please feel free to comment. If you would like to contact me with something more personal, then you are welcomed to email me at: adrianawaleenac@gmail.com

Please speak through the love of God in anything that you write. Thank you :)
~Miss.Adriana Castillo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...